Sunday, November 1, 2009

The work of love....

Relationships do take work. The funny thing is, those relationships worth having, are worth the effort it takes to keep them strong, and, somehow, it doesn't feel like work. I was blessed enough to have my best friend in church with me this morning. We've been best friends since Kindergarten. Amazingly, we've only lived in the same town two of the twenty-seven years we've been best friends. The undeniable connection we share amazes people and it's evident that what we have is rare and something to be cherished. Now that we are older, we can plan visits and actually spend time together. When we were younger, our friendship was kept alive only by letters. We wrote. A lot. I have all of my letters from her in my hope chest tied with a ribbon. I've moved more times than I can count and our parents have not kept in touch. We did it on our own. There have been years of silence which we both regret, but they weren't silent years because of anger or hurt; it was merely distance and busy schedules that kept us apart. We'd find one another again and again, catch up on time passed, and move forward hand-in-hand. She is now an aunt to my son and his confidant as well as mine. What a blessing to see my childhood friend whisper and share secrets with my little boy.

I sat and thought today, just as with Adrienne, I have periods of time when I'm not giving my relationship with God the attention it needs and deserves. It's not out of anger or hurt; it's merely a busy life and schedule keeping us apart. Then I see something or hear something that reminds me of special times and I seek Him out for a conversation and we catch up on time passed, and we move forward hand-in-hand. God gave me Adrienne and her unconditional love as a gift. His gift to me. My friendships with the two of them take work. They take time. They demand effort. My friendships with them are worth it.


Christy Jones



As you read this blog and think over the message from Pastor Mike this morning, please leave a comment about what the Lord is doing in your life concerning love in your relationships. The comment section is below. You may sign in using your Google account or post anonymously.

Come back throughout the week from more thoughts and meditations from Celebration members.

No comments:

Post a Comment