Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Trusting One Another

Trusting Another

“Trust is the thread that weaves a relationship from the starting patch of acquaintance to the beautiful quilt of intimate friendship and soul mate.”

As I reflect on that statement from my sermon, I imagine a room with many quilt patches strewn on the floor. These patches showed promise yet they were never woven into a quilt. Left behind on the floor, they look more like clutter that needs to be swept away.

Am I afraid to trust another?
Do I want to protect myself from being hurt?
Having hurt those closest to me in the past, do I not trust myself in relationship with others?

At one time these patches had promise, the beginnings of a brand new quilt. Now they represent hope squelched. When I come to the close of life, I do not think success will be determined by the one with the greatest number of patches. No, the real winner will be the one wrapped in the warmth of a colorful quilt.

Mike Day

No comments:

Post a Comment