Monday, November 2, 2009

Making it work...




I did one of my favorite things Sunday afternoon. I read the Sunday paper. In the AJC “Parade” section, something grabbed me—maybe because Mike had preached on love. Sandra Bullock and her husband Jesse James share thoughts about their marriage.

I know. They’re a Hollywood couple and the odds are against them, but they have some good points. And they’re very different people who were drawn to each other. I was curious.





“After that meeting, Jesse tracked me down,” Bullock says with a giggle. “I had no intention of going out with him. I said no for a month, but then I got to know him. I wasn’t looking for a relationship, but he committed for the long haul.”They married in 2005, and now Bullock feels fortunate and amazed at what’s happened. “It’s lucky when you have a partner,” she says. What hooked her? “It took someone like him who was unafraid,” she says. “My energy can be daunting. Do you really want to wake up to this at 5 in the morning? Apparently, he did.”James, who had been married twice before, is willing to admit that previously he wasn’t a very good spouse. “I didn’t realize that you have to put as much work into a relationship as you do a custom bike,” he says with a smile.Bullock has also changed her attitude. “I was good at bolting before,” she says. “I didn’t want to do the work. And I was too selfish to have kids. Now I work at what I love. If I didn’t love him, I wouldn’t be putting in the effort. I do approach things differently now that I’m married. I would never do anything that would harm his heart.”
Sounds like Jesse’s decided to devote the kind of attention he puts in his career toward his marriage—same drive, purpose and passion. And Sandra doesn’t want to do anything to hurt her husband because she loves him.
What else does a healthy, lasting marriage require? How do we build our marriages?

Flip the question. What do we do that tears our marriages apart?
Love,
Julie Garmon
*As you meditate on Julie's challenge and questions, what thoughts are stirring within you about what it means to love in your relationships?
*How can others pray for you and your relationships?
*What are you doing to make your relationships work?
Please add thoughts to our discussions by commenting below.
***Please also be in prayer for Pastor Mike and Dan as they travel to Nicaragua this week as we seek to build lasting RELATIONSHIPS with the country and various ministries. ***

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the fact that marriage is hard work and requires sacrifice. But a real marriage has to be fun. If you aren't having fun in your marriage, you are doing something wrong. I mean, you won't always be happy and joyful together, but the overall experience must be fun. I think that is the goal in most relationships also.
    I also think that touch is a huge thing. In any relationship. I really liked when Pastor Mike said that when touch left a marriage, the marriage began to disintegrate. What a simple concept and yet so profound.

    I also liked what Mike said yesterday about the 5 love languages. I hadn't ever thought about applying them to other relationships. I was challenged to talk in some of the other languages (surprises, touch, encouragement, etc) than the ones that I am most receptive to (time). It was also amazing to me how much I can love someone (like my spouse and children) and yet not love them out loud. I mean, I spent most of yesterday fussing at my whining child. It was as if I heard what the sermon was about, but not until I caught myself acting unloving, did any of it really make sense. (of course...I think that anyone has a hard time loving whining children) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that about marriage being fun!

    And whining children....I used to tell mine, "I can't understand you when you whine. You'll have to use your normal voice." It didn't really work but it felt good saying it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couples spend so much time trying to change their partner and looking at their faults, they dont even consider their faults and the things they may need to change to make things work. You have to be willing to work at your marriage, it's not easy. But, in the end it is worth it. Your spouse is your partner in life, they will always be there for you when no one else will and they should be the one who you open your heart to and confide in.

    ReplyDelete