Monday, November 9, 2009

Trusting God

Trusting God

What would my life look like if I trusted God completely?

I’m taken back to the quote from Mother Teresa when she responded to ethicist John Kavanaugh’s request that she pray for him to have clarity. She answered, “No, I will not do that. Clarity is the last thing you are clinging to and must let go of.” After Kavanaugh told her that she seemed to have clarity in the way she lived her life, Mother Teresa laughed and said, “I have never had clarity; what I have always had is trust. So I will pray that you trust God.”

In preparing this sermon, I realized my need for what Brennan Manning calls the “second conversion.” There’s no need to get back into the baptistery; getting wet again will not resolve my trust issue with God. I have believed in God for a long time. I have accepted the salvation offered to me through Jesus Christ. I have studied the Bible and memorized a lot of verses. I have served in the church and in other mission endeavors. I have not, however, voiced the words Jesus said on the cross, “Father into your hands I commit my life.” Yes, I have said those words, but I have not allowed the spoken word to reach the inner depths of my life and launch me into the unknown….the journey where only God leads the way.

Mike Day

No comments:

Post a Comment